Saturday, July 08, 2006

A Few Key 20 40 Session Hands


Right now, a good part of playing at GBH is that noone there knows how I play. One of my strengths playing live is assessing and reading a player within one or two rounds, whereas most players probably do not get that good a read on me as quickly.

First pot won of the night. 11 handed and I have 98o in my BB UTG calls, LP calls, button raises and I call a bit worried that UTG might reraise -- this is always a fear when not ending the action, but the other 2 just come along. Flop A76 rainbow, couldn't ask for a much better flop, if I hit the turn I likely get paid by either UTG or the button. Sometimes I bet out here to bet more money in the pot if I hit, but I am playing a bit conservative at 20 40 for now, so I check to the raiser as does everyone else. He bets, I call and UTG calls. Turn is the magical offsuit ten giving me the stone-cold nuts. I check praying for the button to bet and he does, I call and UTG folds. River is a low blank and I bet out, which is generally screaming that I have a big hand. But, like I said noone knows me there and the button decides to value raise his ace-ten (top 2 pair), I reraise and he calls. Nice little pot, and most importantly I hit a draw...it's been a while, but I guess I'll save them all up for 20 40.

Another big blind pot of note (I can't recall the order of all these pots), a new female player from the other 20 40 moves to our table and it is folded to her and she raises my BB from the cutoff. I haven't seen her play much, I have noted that she is very comfortable with her chips and her motions mucking the cards. She also knows a few people at the table that I have established as regulars by their play against each other and their comments to each other. So, I have taken her out of the category of my default female weak-tight player and placed her into the category of a player who can steal my blinds. I look down at T9 hearts, a definite call. Miracle flop of QJx all hearts. I flop a flush with a redraw to an open-ended straight flush. I figure that I'll let her do all the work. I check, she bets and I call. Turn blank...I'm praying..no heart, no heart. I check raise her and she calls. River is the partly nice and partly ugly ace of hearts. I figure that she has now hit some of the AQJxx board, but am hoping that she doesn't have KK with the K of hearts. I have the second nuts, but with a one card flush out I'm not ecstatic. I can bet or check. I figure that the pot is large enough that she can fire again to a check, hoping to win it if I don't have a heart. I check-call and win a nice heads-up pot.

Another nice heads-up pot. I have one of the two donatorsin the game 2 seats to my right, and I'm waiting to isolate hime with any decent paint. I see him turning over K7o in EP, etc, etc. I'm in the cutoff and he open-limps and I raise with KQo. Unfortunately a decent, TAG player reraises on the button and the donator folds, I sheepishly call as my raises are getting respect at this point from the 4 players on my left, I'm thinking that I may be drawing fairly slim and remind myself of the troubles with KQo out of position before we see the flop of Qxx rainbow. I check call both the flop and the turn and check down the river to his second pair of TT.

My big cards did fairly well for me all night, winning some small to medium pots. I didn't hit a set in the few hours that I played. At a table like this that is a spot where you are going to win some decent pots.

A few small mistakes and questionable plays in the session, but no major mistakes. Here they are.

Questionable situation one. I'm in LP with black 44 and it is limped to me as a family, I call and we see the flop 11handed! Flop J65 with 2 spades, giving me 2 outs that don't bring a flush but bring a straight. SB bets and I think everyone calls to me, so there are roughly 9-10bb in the pot. I have proper odds to draw to the two remaining red fours and with only 2 players to act behind me and everyone coming along, the odds of a raise behind me is slim. I think for 10 seconds or so and muck telling myself that a larger set or 65 could already be out there and hitting my set could obviously make a made straight, killling some action to my redraw. At the least, with everyone coming along for the ride some of my ten redraw outs must be dead, so I fold a $400 pot for $20, of which I had only invested $20. The button ends-up raising, and I lost track of the rest of the flop action. The turn is a 9 and the river an 8. So, the board is J5698 rainbow. Player on my right had check-raised the turn after it was checked to the flp raiser who bet the turn with the sb coming along. I put him on 78, as did the other 2 I guess. He bets the river and the other 2 fold to a single bet into a $700+ pot. He flips A8 suited, missing his flush draw and hitting a pair of 8s on the river. Button says he folded KK. What a horrid, horrid fold for a single bet on the river. You do the math. I should have probably come along for one more bet on the flop.

Questionable situation two. Same scenario as the next hand in the series (sorry, I wrote these out of order), but I'm in my small blind with K7o. I usually call just about anything here, but I don't want to hit a king and not be able to play it for value against the donators, so I fold and see a K9x flop which is checked around. Final board of K9xJx rainbow. BB bets A9 on the turn and checks the river and wins a small pot against one of the donators.

Small mistake one. One donator is 5 to my left or 5 to my right, so I don't get to manipulate him all too often, the other two to my right. I'm on the button and both donators are the only ones in the pot. I see Q8 suited and decide that I have so much pot-flop equity against these calling-stations that I limp along as do the blinds. KTx rainbow and I check-fold. Now the purpose of having these donators in the game is to have them pay-off your top pair decent kicker, not to be drawing against them. Only cost me $20, but the fact that I was dying to play against these 2 let me make a bad call.

Small mistake two. UTG calls, I call with ATs diamonds in UTG+2 (table is playing fairly passive preflop), guy three to my left who loves raising his middle pairs preflop raises and I the donator on my right comes along. Beautiful flop of A74 with a 4 flush for me. I'm not crazy about my kicker, but I love my draw. Check to me and I bet the the flop to see if there's any strength out there. (I'm also not giving the guy (preflop raiser) who spiked an 8 on my queens on a previous turn a free card to his set). Preflop raiser just calls as does donator. UTG folds. Turn is a blank and I check and so do the other 2 -- against Mr. pocket-pair and the donator who would call any ace, I should have bet for value. I think the pocket-pair would have folded, but I lost $40 from the donator. River makes the board A74x4 and the BB (donator) bets out. I I literally think for 20 seconds -- call/raise? call/raise? call/raise? -- I decide to call to try and get an overcall from the pocket pair and I have a smidgen of fear that the BB has the 4. Pocket pair folds saying he had a pocket pair. I win against the donator's A6o. A raise on the river was the right move. I likely lost $80 easy profit in that hand.

Bad mistake one (and only). The far-off donator limps in EP and 2 to 3 more limp to my sb where I have KJs, I call. Flop KTx rainbow. I bet, donator calls, all else fold. I know he can call with a ten here. Turn ten, copleting nothing put a draw to a ten. I check and he bets...sirens screaming in my head -- the calling station just bet out for the first time almost ever, he has the ten, he has the ten, hello, hello TENTENTEN -- pot is small and I have only invested $30. I call? River blank, I check he bets -- arooooooohah, aroooooooohah, he has the ten! I call. He turns over QTo. Nice play Dave. At 20 40 that's $80 being stubborn. Almost a stack of red shifted to the donkey, nice move. I hate paying-off horrid players.

So, overall I lost or didn't gain roughly $160 making a few mistakes. A good session none the less.

No comments: