Friday, July 21, 2006

A Realization and Likely My Worst Session Ever


I have built a nice bankroll playing some low limit underground games in the GTA over the last 2 years, but something has happened in the last few weeks that I knew was coming and it cumulated in my (relatively) worst cash-game session ever last night. It's the same-old problem that has been there in my online game forever, but I have never experienced it live before. The problem is playing for too low stakes to be meaningful to me. Having the bankroll for, and having successfully played, 10 20 and a bit of 20 40 has made playing in the 4 8 and 5 10 range seem insignificant monitarily. I'm not playing anywhere near my best game at those limits anymore. I've seen it coming in a few small wins and break-even sessions in the past few weeks, but it was abundantly clear last night in what was likely my only 50-60bb loss ever at a poker table. If I'm going to take moving-up seriously then I need to focus on the bigger games. Even the Wednesday night game that has been such a steady income for me has somewhat lost its appeal at the moment -- winning $200-$400 a session just isn't that appealing after winning a small pot of $200-$300 at 20 40.

The drive has been the thing impeding my climb up in limits, but I simply have to make the effort to get out to GBH 6-8 times a month. I was going to head out tonight, but after last night's debacle I'm taking the night off and relaxing away from the tables. Maybe tomorrow...maybe Sunday...have to see how I feel.

As for the my worst session ever, I broke almost every one of my rules for being a winning player. The session started off with a few bad beats, including a few horrible beats. There was no way it was going to be a winning session, but playing against the rules of a winning player turned what should have been a bad session results-wise into a disaster results-wise.

Played beyond the 30-40bb rule,
Played when I didn't care anymore,
Played tired in a game that held little interest to me,
Played too many hands trying to get even,

In summary, played undisciplined poker just like 90% of the players out there and deservedly lost more than I should have.

It was one of those nights that helps to push you forward forcefully, like a 28 year old receiving a firm boot to the ass out of his parents' basement.

Hopefully, good things will follow from the experience as I'm more determined to focus on middle-limit poker.

Time to recoup with some omega eggs, huh Cookie?

No comments: