Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I Have a Big Hole in My Tournament Game


I decided to play the small $60 tournament at The Unit tonight. More to start working a bit on my live tournament game than anything else. 45 players or so, first $1.1K, second $700, third $400, fourth $200. Usually when I play these, it is just to blow off some steam from playing solid cash-game poker. My cash game has virtually no holes...however. my tournament game has one big one akin to the Matusow Blow-up.

I decide to play solid, positional poker, make no moves, play my cards and see how it goes. I literally pick-up JJ once and that's about it. I manage to get down to 6 handed where if I'm not the short stack, then I'm 5th. Only first would mean much in terms of the payout, second would be ok as well, not at all interested in 3rd-5th. So, blinds are 600 1200 and I have 8-9k infront of me. Folded to me on the button, very weak player in the SB about my stack size, chip leader in the BB. I decide to limp with KTo and try and take it on the flop. SB folds, BB makes it 3k ontop, I think and push. I have never played with the BB before as this was a new table. I think that getting all those chips earlier makes him very capable of making a move on a short limping stack. He turns over AQo, so I don't mind, but I lose to a full house on the turn.

Now, I played solidly all game but then I get down to 6 handed and decide that I need to double-up to try and make a run to first. Do I mind my push, I'm not sure. I guess that I do a bit given that I'm doing it against a player that I have zero read on and that I could have waited 4-5 more hands for a pushable hand. I was card-dead for most the game, so overall 6th is not very bad. However, this was not a great spot. I don't mind the limp if I know the BB can make a play, as KT is a better than average hand. However, odds are he's just another low-limit player playing only his cards, so I should have either raised or folded in that spot, and certainly should have folded rather than pushing all in. Perhaps if the tournament was for more money then I would have played it differently.

No comments: