Monday, May 01, 2006

Realization That I'm a Very Good Player

So, I was talking to a dealer/friend at an underground club that I frequent 5-10 times a month and we were discussing how much certain players owe on their respective sheets. I for one always play with cash -- I cash in, I cash out. I can't imagine playing with money that I don't have. Anyhow, the amounts that certain players owed in relation to the limits played at this club was, in a word, shocking. I'm still shocked. One player is on the sheet for mid 5 figures over 2 years. Other players appraoching 5 figures for the same period. Shocking.

Anyhow, I also learned that only 4 or 5 players out of the regular pool of 40-50 players are actually winning players. This fits with the 1 in 10 figure normally tossed about, and I know that almost all the players I sit with their are losers, but to hear only a handful of names picked out of the pool really reinforces things. I know I'm a winning player. I know I'm the best player at that club. I only respect the play or 3 other players I have ever played with there. But hearing the cold facts really made me think deeper about the situation.

I had another good month last month, both online and live. For live play, I love the Wed night hi/lo games. I averaged $300 or so a session over the month, but mostly it's a fun game with good people. As for holdem, I had 9/10 winning sessions this past month. The only losing session being a small loss. Online, I've been absolutely crushing the 6max sngs on Party. Last night alone I made $400 in a few hours 2 tabling the $55s. I've come to the point with my live play that for holdem I need to move up limits. Anything under 10 20 is just boring at this point, unless the game is 5 or 6 handed. Hopefully, I will be moving up to 20 40 at Brantford by mid summer. My bankroll is a bit short for an aggressive 20 40 game, so I'll likely wait until I build a bit more before jumping in.

I now solidly believe that I'm one of the few consistant winners out there. I have the confidence to move to 20 40. My weakness continues to be taking losing sessions in stride. My play is never affected while at the table, but I can be upset about a losing session for a day. Obviously, this is not a healthy way to handle something that is inevitable as a poker player, and I'm working on it.

No comments: