Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Weak heads-up players...different flavours, same sweet taste


I've always been a very good heads-up player -- from NL sngs or the full NL 128 player tournies on stars (won in once in about 3 trys and have monied in a few subsequent attempts). It's fun to play someone 1 0n 1 and try to take all their chips.

Obviously, heads-up poker gives you opportunities to outplay weak opponents. Weak can mean an opponent who folds every time they don't hit a big flop or an opponent who overplays his hands every time in an attempt to run you over. The latter opponent is more difficult to beat, and causes a lot more variance, but is very beatable all the same. Of course, the toughest opponent is one that varies his play but tends toward the aggressive side...and will read your play and adjust.

Weak players come in different forms.

Meet weak-player #1:

Just played a brief heads-up 2 4 limit O8 session (I couldn't sleep so played for a brief time, now time to go back to bed). Only played for 15-20 minutes. Perhaps the weakest heads-up Omaha8 player I've ever played sat across from me. I sat with $100, he with $40. Within 5-7 mins I was up to $135. This guy would fold roughly 20%-30% of his SB to me -- there is almost no O8 hand not worth getting 3:1 on your money to see a flop. So that was awful trait #1. Awful trait #2 -- he folded to a flop bet 80% of the time. So I win uncontested almost all of the time. He bets into me or calls a flop bet and I'm done with the hand unless I turn a monster.

So, there was weak type #1.

Meet weak player #2:

About 10min in a 3rd player sits to my left. Guy is raising every hand. Not a bad strategy 3-handed against tight-weak players, but I'm not tight-weak. I'm more "do you know that in O8 I'm gonna catch a hand real soon and bust you-strong". So he sits with $40 or $50, gives a bit to the T-W player who catches a hand, and gives the remaining $30 or so to me heads-up in my sb. Flop 445 rainbow I have K-4-x-x where the xs are overs to the 4. Flop is check raised by me and I smooth-call the reraise. Turn K giving me the low nut FH. I bet and get him all-in on the turn with a cap. River 8, I'm thinking great, he just got bailed out with the low and less likely, please don't turn-over 55. He shows a turned nut flush draw or something.

So, there was weak type #2.

Lots of fun for a 15min session, now back to bed.

15min +13bb...fun.

No comments: